CAKE. That’s all my Gluten-Free Ratio Rally comrades had to say and I was over the moon about participating in this month’s challenge.
A refresher on the Gluten-Free Ratio Rally: The rally is a wonderful initiative kicked off by like-minded gluten-free thinkers. Our purpose is to make a food item each month that uses standard ratios for the item. This month our challenge was CAKE (I said it was CAKE, right?!) and it was hosted by Kate at Gluten Free Gobsmacked. In the past, we’ve made yummy gluten-free pancakes, quick breads and even scones to name a few! [Learn more about ratios in this post.]
The ratio we were working with this time was simple:
Egg : Sugar : Flour : Butter
That is pretty much the ratio I stuck to, changing only the amount of sugar I added to the cupcakes (the extra sugar makes my ratio more like a 1:2:1:1). Maybe my sweet tooth got in the way? (Again.)
I took one of my favorite food pairings (chocolate + raspberry = true love 4eva) and made it into this little number … hope you enjoy:
Dark Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes (makes 12 cupcakes)
- 1-1/4 cups (160 grams), plus 1 Tablespoon The G-Spot’s Gum-Free, Gluten-Free Baking Flour Mix
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon gluten-free cocoa powder
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 Tablespoon of gluten-free vanilla
- 1/4 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup gluten-free raspberry fruit preserves
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 cup cornstarch
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1-1/2 cups gluten-free powdered sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla
- 4 oz. gluten-free dark chocolate, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 12-cup muffin pans or use muffin papers to line the cups.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa. Set aside.
- In a standing mixer or large bowl with a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy (about 4 – 5 minutes). Add the eggs, one at a time, until everything is combined.
- Combine the milk and vanilla in a small bowl, and then slowly add the milk and flour mixtures to the butter mixture, alternating between the two until both are completely added. Mix on low to medium until well combined. (Do not over-mix.)
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Loosen edges (unless using muffin papers), and remove to racks to cool completely.
- Rinse and dry raspberries. Combine fresh raspberries, fruit preserves, sugar and cornstarch in a 2 quart saucepan. Cook over low heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Cool before using.
- For the chocolate icing, combine butter, sugar, vanilla, melted chocolate and salt, mixing on medium speed until well combined. Add heavy whipping cream and beat until a mousse-like icing is achieved.
- When cupcakes have cooled, use a long serrated knife to cut a small hole out of the top of each cupcake (like this) and place tops aside. Place the cooled raspberry filling in each hole (about 1 Tablespoon – 1-1/2 Tablespoons each) and then put the tops back on the cupcakes. If you are using a pastry decorator, then prepare it by filling the tube with the chocolate icing. Squeeze over each cupcake, starting from the outside edge and circle toward the center. If you are using a pastry spatula, then spread topping evenly on each cupcake. Garnish each cupcake with a fresh raspberry, if desired.
These cupcakes really are just too much. Rich and absolutely decadent, these treats can trick even the pickiest of non-gluten-free eaters. (You know, the ones who say, “Is that gluten-free [sigh]? No, thanks, I like my gluten.”) Yeah, you’ll make them fall in love too.
Make ‘em. You won’t be sorry.
Want more cake yumminess? Of course you do! Check out what the other Gluten-Free Ratio Rally participants came up with this month:
- GF Banana Rum Cupcakes with Rum Glaze (alcohol-free!) by Claire @ Gluten Freedom
- GF Boston Cream Pie by Britt @ GF in the City
- GF Chocolate Hostess Cupcake Dupes by Erin @ The Sensitive Epicure
- GF Chocolate Pistachio Pound Cake by Amie @ The Healthy Apple
- GF Coconut Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes by Gretchen @ Kumquat-Blog
- GF Confetti Cake by MaryFran @ FrannyCakes
- GF Czech Cherry Bublanina by Rachel @ The Crispy Cook
- GF Basic White Cake by Kate @Gluten Free Gobsmacked
- GF Frangelico Cupcakes with Nutella by Lisa @ Gluten Free Canteen
- GF Fresh-Squeezed Lemon Cake by Caneel @ Mama Me Gluten Free
- GF Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins by Marla @ Family Fresh Cooking
- GF Lemon Tea Cake by Kate @ KateAlice Cookbook
- GF Mocha Buttercream Yellow Birthday Cake by Dr. Jean Layton @ GF Doctor Recipes
GF Nina’s Hot Milk Cake by Charissa @ Zest Bakery
- GF Tiramisu Cake by TR Crumbley @ No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- GF Traditional Birthday Cake by Karen @ Cooking – Gluten Free!
- GF Vanilla Cupcakes by Winnie @ Healthy Green Kitchen
- GF White Cake with Apricots & Blueberries by Brooke @ B and the Boy
- GF White Chocolate Cupcakes by Caleigh @ Gluten Freek(k)
- GF Busy-Day Cake by Shauna @Gluten-Free Girl
- GF Chocolate-Coated Marshmallow-Topped Vanilla Cupcakes by Silvana @ Silvana’s Kitchen